Mechanical Technical SpecialistJob ID 2012 Date posted 01/14/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a full-time regular, Mechanical Technical Specialist, in the Accelerator Components & Instrumentation Group. The employee will provide technical support for the operation of a variety of complex beamline instrumentation systems involving working with existing and future planned beamline instrumentation and may eventually plan, coordinate and perform challenging assignments related to photo-injectors and laser systems. Under general technical direction, and with some latitude for the exercise of initiative and judgment, performs a wide variety of highly skilled technical assignments in support of the scientific and professional staff. Work assignments are usually on a specific task basis, requiring a high degree of proficiency in technical skills and techniques in such areas as fabrication, evaluation, testing, operation, maintenance or construction of equipment, systems, and facilities involved with scientific investigations. May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other technical support personnel assigned to a specific project. The work will include component selection, prototyping, construction and system commissioning and equipment operation. The Accelerator Components & Instrumentation Group is responsible for the operation and upgrade of a wide variety of electron, ion and laser beam instrumentation systems for the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) complex of particle accelerators and other existing and planned accelerator systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assembly, wiring, soldering, testing, installation, operations and upgrade support for a wide variety of existing and new beam instrumentation electronics systems that include those used for measuring radiation levels, beam position and beam size.
- Provide electronics system documentation such as schematics, wiring diagrams and written system descriptions.
- Work with system engineers and existing technical team to provide electronics technical support to develop, maintain and upgrade instrumentation systems throughout the C-AD complex.
- Successfully complete periodic training on the environmental, health and safety rules.
- Responsible for following all of the rules and keeping refresher training up to date.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field
- A minimum of four (4) years relevant work experience
- Demonstrated ability working with electronic/mechanical systems
- The ability to work from mechanical drawings and schematics
- Extensive experience with all aspects of mechanical fabrications, including operating lathes, milling machines, drill presses, sheet metal fabrications, height gauges, micrometers
- Familiarity with computers and computer-generated drawings
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be committed to working safely under strict guidelines
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Training, education and/or experience with precision electrical/mechanical operating systems
- Knowledgeable of UHV component assembly practices within a clean room environment
- CNC experience is desirable
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will receive periodic training on the environmental, health and safety rules
- Responsible for following all of the rules and keeping refresher training up to date
- Lifting of 30 pounds, climb a ladder
- Driver’s license required for travel between on- site buildings
- Must be available for off hour call-in, with arrival within 1-hour from call-in to arrival at BNL
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now