Utility Technician Water SystemsJob ID 2548 Date posted 04/07/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The NSLS-II Utilities group is responsible for installation, operation, maintenance and repair of all water systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers, closed loop cooling/air and gas systems and process distribution piping to magnets, power supplies, RF cavities and various experimental equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
•Operate, repair, maintain, assemble and install all air/water systems and associated sub systems at NSLS II.
•Fabricate and modify unique equipment and assemblies that support water systems.
•Be available for emergency call-in for all utilities system repairs, trips/faults or unplanned water system related events.
•Complete periodic training and pass testing on BNL environmental, health and safety rules, and keep refresher training up to date.
Meticulously maintain to the highest standards of safety and adherence on all water systems procedures and policies.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires an associate’s degree in a technical field or equivalent relevant experience, or technical institute graduate with relevant field work experience
- Ability to take measurements and readings of operating equipment within group and report discrepancies to appropriate staff
- Ability to carry out maintenance requirements of equipment to department standards
- Ability to read most symbols and drawing in the plumbing and electrical disciplines
- Ability to navigate in a wide variety of computer applications
- Has a minimal working knowledge of pumping systems
- Has training in disciplines such as plumbing or HVAC
- Can lift 30lbs or greater
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now