Tool & Instrument MakerJob ID 2498 Date posted 07/20/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works on various materials from prints, sketches, or verbal instructions
• Sets up and operates machine tools, and also performs benchwork, on jobs which require the application of individual ingenuity in solving problems of method, or results required, where previous standards of operation have not been established
• Performs layout, preparation, setup, measurement, assembly and installation
• Makes own tools, performs maintenance incidental to operation of machines, and may specialize
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Requires a High School diploma, GED, or higher
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience on various CNC/NC equipment
• Required to input data manually on menu-driven and Fanuc type controls
• Must be able to monitor displays, override controls and adjust machine performance
• Should also have capability to select and install tooling as required
• Have knowledge of materials
• Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed and coolant flow
• Must possess a valid NYS driver's license
• Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form"
• Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
• Must possess written and verbal skills.
• Must be capable of following written instruction procedures, work orders, and similar documents.
• Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents
• Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
• Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements:
• Standing, bending and lifting
• Ability to do heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
• Ability to do moderate lifting < 30 lbs.
• Ability to work in confined spaces
• Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders
• Work outdoors/cold environments
• Work in warm environments
• Moving machinery
• Use of powered and hand operated hand tools
• Physical coordination/dexterity and balance
• Some rigging & hoisting
• Operates industrial fork trucks and fixed cranes
• Work with machinery including benchtop grinders and similar
• Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes and hearing protection
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now