Sr. Technology AnalystJob ID 2136 Date posted 07/07/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The National Synchrotron Light Source-II (NSLS-II) seeks an engineer to join the Core Controls Group that develops software and hardware engineering expertise for 30 state-of-the-art synchrotron beamlines, as well as for a cryo-electron microscopy facility. The working environment in this large-scale research facility combines the scope of a large industrial facility with the excitement and challenges of world-class research experiments. As a National Laboratory, BNL collaborates closely with other national and international research institutions.
This position is focused on the implementation, deployment, and maintenance of NSLS-II beamline systems that control and synchronize high-precision motor-driven positioners, X-Ray detectors, and robotic sample mounters in a Linux-based Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS) environment. It will also contribute to ongoing development and support for various database technologies for experiment control and for experimental data handling and processing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate for this position is a junior level technology development professional who possesses demonstrated expertise in their engineering area and can apply working knowledge of related technologies. Responsibilities for the role include development of engineering solutions from planning to design to implementation and documentation, communication with customers and team members, and continued growth of professional expertise.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field of study
- At least one year of relevant experience
- Demonstrated programming experience, e.g. using C, C++, Python, or Java
- Experience with developing in a Linux operating system environment
- Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with professionals from diverse backgrounds
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (One or more of the following):
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or closely related field of study
- Experience with development for Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS)
- Python programming experience in a scientific computing environment
- Experience with SQL (relational) or NoSQL databases, e.g. MySQL or MongoDB
- Graphical User Interface design and development experience
- Familiarity with data acquisition technologies, hardware and software for scientific applications
- Experience with software support for scientific equipment, especially synchrotron beamline
- Experience with motion control technologies
- Knowledge of PLC programming and interfaces
Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now