Sr Project Manager EngineerJob ID 1748 Date posted 07/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
BNL's Modernization Project Office's (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical plant of the Lab to provide facilities where world-class research can be performed.
MPO has a full-time opportunity for a senior level Architect/Engineer to lead large-scale design and construction/renovation projects for the Lab.
This is a senior Project Manager position within BNL’s Modernization Project Office and reports to senior level management.
The major duties and responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Lead the planning, executing, monitoring/controlling and close-out of construction and renovation projects with significant scope and complexity ($5M-$100M).
- Manage the project through the entire project lifecycle from conceptualizing, design, estimating/planning, budgeting to construction.
- Employ advanced principles to design, develop, specify, test and evaluate solutions and plans. Ensure that solutions and engineering design comply with established procedures, programs and policies.
- Ensure adherence to work scope, schedule and budget.
- Use innovative approaches to address complex problems or constructability issues.
- Monitor and oversee the construction process with the support of construction inspectors.
- Perform detailed design work, determines resource needs for assigned projects, prepares specifications and facilitates preliminary design reviews.
- Develop project plans to meet customer needs within available budget and time frame.
- May direct the work of a group of engineers, in-house trades, general contractors, and outside Architects/Engineers
- Prepare and deliver presentations to organizational stakeholders and senior leadership, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture or Engineering (of a related discipline).
- Minimum of 10 years experience in project management, building design and facility construction.
- Demonstrated project experience in the development and execution of construction projects (of $20M+) from conceptual through detailed design, cost estimation and construction.
- Experience meeting with clients, writing proposals and defining the scope of work
- Must be capable of collaborating with and leading a diverse project team, developing project schedules/ cost estimates, and overseeing the construction process for assigned projects.
- Proven ability to identify and mitigate project risks, develop contingency plans and provide solutions.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Project management experience with large-scale design and construction projects, preferred.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations
- Requires the ability to work outside or inside.
- Requires the ability to climb ladders and access facility roofs.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor