Sr Business Analyst/Business ManagerJob ID 1938 Date posted 10/26/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Business Services Directorate (BSD) is to provide high-quality services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $600 million annual budget. In addition, the Directorate manages Brookhaven's Prime Contract which is the contract between the U.S. Department of Energy and Brookhaven Science Associates.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) has has an opening for a Senior Business Specialist/Business Manager position within the Instrumentation Division. This individual will report to the Business Operation Manager (BOM) that currently oversees the Environment, Biology, Nuclear Science and Nonproliferation (EBNN) Directorate Business Office.
**SPECIAL NOTE: Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. **
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing financial management support to the Instrumentation Division which will include:
- Serving as the Business Point of Contact for all financial matters;
- Tracking overall business performance by analyzing financial data and ensure data complies with BNL policies and procedures;
- Team with department leaders and administrative staff in a rapidly growing area;
- Maintain, develop and apply capabilities to execute organization’s plans;
- Supervise staff as well as provide coaching and mentoring to other business staff members;
- Serve as the business office representative at BSD management meetings when BOM is absent;
- Responsible for internal/external financial reporting and financial oversight including specialized reports;
- Adherence to all BNL business rules, allowable cost monitoring and compliance;
- Operating in a team environment and remaining flexible with assignments.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include budget planning, labor forecasting, development of current year cost plans, analysis of current year cost, rate development and preparation of financial summaries for management, periodic program reviews and Laboratory planning exercises.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance/business or directly related field or equivalent experience on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years;
- Minimum of 10 years full-time, contemporary experience in a substantive role in the accounting/financial field including experience demonstrating complex responsibilities;
- Managerial or supervisory experience;
- Advanced communication (oral and written), interpersonal, relationship management, and presentation skills;
- Knowledgeable of GAAP/CAS/FAR requirements as related to areas of responsibility;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including intermediate skills with Excel and databases;
- Applies independent judgments that demonstrates ability to prioritize and effectively deal with deadlines;
- Able to identify and resolve issues encountered within own area of responsibility; act proactively to develop solutions and avoid problems;
- Ability to establish routine contacts and provide detailed and complex information that will be used to make decisions of business consequence.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP) including the extraction and reporting of data
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft and the ability to generate queries and reports
- Extensive knowledge of the Laboratories Financial system, policies and procedures
- Ability to obtain and retain DOE “Q” Clearance
- Financial Project Management experience
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file