Sr Applications EngineerJob ID 1848 Date posted 08/13/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Nuclear and Particle Physics Software (NPPS) Group in the BNL Physics Department is an international leader in scientific software development at the most challenging scales. The group collaborates on a growing number of experiments including the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider in Europe; the Belle II experiment at the SuperKEKB accelerator in Japan; the STAR, PHENIX and sPHENIX experiments at BNL's RHIC heavy ion collider; and the future electron-ion collider (EIC).
The NPPS group has an opening for a senior applications engineer to work on distributed data management (DDM) for Belle II and other BNL experiments. The successful candidate is expected to play a leading role in developing an optimal DDM solution for the Belle II experiment, which is currently evaluating Rucio. The individual will have detailed knowledge of DDM technologies used for HEP experiments, preferably including Rucio, and will manage the migration to Rucio for Belle II. The candidate is expected to advise on DDM strategies for experiments and programs in BNL’s particle and nuclear physics program, and will contribute to the design, planning, development and maintenance of the necessary software, particularly for experiments using Rucio, including ATLAS. The hire will be based either at BNL or potentially CERN. Domestic and international travel is expected.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead development of DDM solutions for Belle II
- Advise on and participate in the development of DDM solutions for HEP and NP experiments and programs at BNL
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) plus 8 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated excellent programming skills in Python
- Experience and familiarity with SQL databases
- Experience and familiarity with message passing systems and real time programming
- Experience with developing and operating data management systems for scientific experiments
- Familiarity with software engineering practices that include testing, documentation, source code management and release procedures
- Excellent writing, interpersonal communication, and analytical skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in writing C++
- Experience optimising queries for SQL databases
- Experience working on collaborative software projects
- Experience developing and operating distributed data management systems for HEP experiments
- Occasional travel, foreign and domestic, is required.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor