Special Services AttendantJob ID 3312 Date posted 07/21/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate's mission is to enable great science. The Guest Services Division provides services that support and assist the world-class scientific research performed at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). Guest services are available to all Brookhaven Divisions, Departments, guests, users, and visiting researchers.
Performs various service duties in connection with conferences, meetings and special events. Works as Laboratory Custodian when not on special service assignment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs various service duties in connection with conferences, meetings and special events in a timely manner
- Moves furnishings
- Will be required to drive Lab vehicles
- Makes deliveries
- Cleans various Conference Service buildings such as 488, Bldg. 30, as well as the gymnasium, locker rooms, pool area, Recreation building and special cleaning tasks as assigned
- Employs customary hand and machine equipment
- Follows planned cleaning schedules to ensure all areas of need are addressed
- Prepare rooms set-ups and breakdowns
- Works as Laboratory Custodian when not on special service assignment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a High School diploma, GED, or higher
- Must possess a valid NYS driver's license
- Experience in stripping, waxing and buffing of floors
- Requires polished interpersonal skills dealing with customers and fellow workers
- Must possess written and verbal skills
- Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
- Must meet the medical requirements of the Job Assessment Form
- Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
- Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
- Standing, bending and lifting.
- Moderate lifting
- Heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
- Ability to climb portable ladders.
- Work in warm environments.
- Work around moving machinery.
- Physical coordination dexterity and balance.
- Use of powered operated hand-tools.
- Ability to wear proper PPE, such as safety glasses, safety shoes and hearing protection.
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now