Senior Project ManagerJob ID 3384 Date posted 09/02/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The MPO mission is to design, construct, and update the physical plant of BNL to provide facilities where world class research can be performed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
This Senior Project Manager position will report to the Manager of Facilities Project Management within the Modernization Project Office. The major duties and responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Responsible for planning the work of major engineering projects and systems with significant scope and complexity. The primary focus of this position will be on hot cell design/ construction and isotope research infrastructure.
- Leads the project(s) through the entire project lifecycle from conceptualizing, design, estimating/planning, and construction to installation of the project. Will also assist in working through regulatory, FDA, and DOE Nuclear approvals for the project(s) and incorporate requirements into the design/ construction process as applicable.
- Detailed Knowledge of scheduling.
- Will direct the work of a group of engineers, technicians, contractors, and outside Architects/Engineers to successfully complete the assigned projects.
- Will act as the liaison between the senior scientific staff and design engineering staff to assure that programmatic requirements are captured, and the design meets the program requirements as established by the project stakeholders and approved project documentation.
- Ability to use advanced principles and tools during design/ construction to assist in managing and reporting on the project from an overall Project Status and Quality Assurance perspective.
- Demonstrates leadership to ensure adherence to project scope, schedule and budget; coupled with the use of innovative approaches to address complex problems or constructability issues.
- Monitors and oversees the construction process and the various inspectors who monitor the construction work.
- Ensures that solutions and engineering design comply with established procedures, programs and policies at BNL.
- Conducts regularly scheduled project status meetings and design review meetings with design team, major contractors and consultants, and key project stakeholders. Manages detailed design work, determines resource needs for assigned projects, oversees the development and coordination of contracts, scoping, drawings, specifications, and other major procurements.
- Makes presentations to update both organizational and senior management on a regular basis. Interacts with DOE and the local site office on a regular basis to convey the status of the project and works through challenges as they arise.
- Develops project plans to meet customer needs within available budget and time frame.
- Reports directly to senior level F/O and MPO management within the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering
- Minimum of 10-15 years’ experience in a combination of project management, building design and facility construction.
- Demonstrated project experience in the development and execution of multiple projects greater than $50M and leading the project in day to day activities from conceptual through detailed design, construction and turnover to operations.
- Experience meeting with clients, writing proposals and defining the scope of work
- Must be capable of leading a diverse project team, developing project schedules/ cost estimates, and overseeing the construction process for assigned projects.
- Must be a highly professional self-starter and motivated individual who will ask questions and be proactive with their assigned work.
- Experience in Nuclear/ Hot Cell/ Isotope Research or design for construction projects.
- Expertise in building design & construction
- Knowledge of CAD and Primavera P6
- Familiarity with FDA requirements
- New York State Registered Architect RA, or New York State Licensed PE.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) and or Certified Construction manager (CCM)
- Knowledge of DOE Order 413.3b.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand / eye coordination
- Moderate lifting (up to 30 lbs)
- Ability to climb a ladder to work at heights greater than 5 feet.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License is required
- Visa sponsorship wil not be offered for this position
- This is an on-site position eligible for consideration of flexible work arrangement (hybrid telework) at the discretion of the department manager
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.