Senior Mechanical Designers (multiple positions and levels)Job ID 3408 Date posted 09/20/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
BNL’s EIC division has immediate openings for Senior Mechanical Designers to join our growing Design and Documentation Group. Under the technical direction of the group leader and other engineers/scientists, you will play a key role in designing the equipment to be used in our new accelerator. This equipment includes magnets, power supplies, RF systems, vacuum equipment, accurately positioned support structures, remote drive systems, lifting fixtures, and civil facilities including building layouts and water/air cooling systems. The assignments you will work on will usually be on a project basis, which will require a high degree of initiative and judgement to plan, coordinate, and perform your design efforts.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine (bnl.gov/eic).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop specialized and complex component and equipment designs using 3D modeling and design software
- Support design and safety reviews
- Prepare and document fabrication drawings
- Support fabrication, assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and other technical staff
- Independently plan, coordinate, and execute assignments
- May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other drafting support personnel assigned to a specific project
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical institute or associate degree in a related engineering field or equivalency, and at least six (6) years’ relevant design/drafting experience
- Proficiency using PTC Creo, Autodesk Inventor, and/or Solid Works 3D CAD software designing mechanical components and systems for fabrication
- Knowledge of material properties, manufacturing/machine shop processes, welding, hardware & component choice, manufacturing, installation, and dimensioning and tolerances
- Demonstrated ability to create accurate and detailed 3D system models and designs and then use them to generate mechanical manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5 standards
- Ability to perform mechanical design functions independently with general direction and review by a mechanical engineer or scientist
- Good technical communication skills for close collaboration with engineers (e.g. reporting changes and modifications) and technical staff who install and maintain equipment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Ability to review and check the 3D models and fabrication drawings of other design group staff
- Experience with custom scientific equipment including magnet design, vacuum chambers & components, high current and high voltage equipment, motion/positioning systems, water cooling and/or cryogenic components
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May be required to climb ladders for equipment inspection
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights, or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Valid driver's license
- Selected candidates will be placed at the appropriate level based on their experience
- BNL cannot sponsor US work authorization/visa for this position
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-Funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (e.g., Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now