Senior Electronics TechnicianJob ID 1415 Date posted 11/14/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a Senior Technician (TW-3) to participate in a group responsible for keeping Brookhaven Laboratory’s high-tech physics machines operating around-the-clock and providing data for fundamental scientific research. As a group member, the selected candidate will be exposed to many complex machines unique to the field of particle physics and will have the opportunity to work alongside talented engineers and skilled craftsmen to develop cutting-edge devices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under general supervision, provide troubleshooting and repair support for high-current and high-voltage power supplies, along with specialized equipment throughout the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider complex
- Test and install complex electronic equipment and components during maintenance periods
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associate degree in Electronics/ Electrical Technology or equivalent or technical institute graduate with relevant field work experience
- Ability to work a 12-hour rotating shift. May be required to cover additional shifts with possible short notice
- Knowledge of basic circuit principles and familiarity with standard electronic measurement equipment such as multi-meters and oscilloscopes, as well as their measurement principles
- Ability to repair, modify, and build electrical/electronic systems from schematic drawings
- Ability to use basic power tools and assemble chassis using basic mechanical fabrication techniques
- Must be self-motivated, able to work with minimum supervision, and have good communication skills
- Basic computer skills are necessary
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with function generators, logic analyzers, and spectrum analyzers
- Familiarity with programming languages and concepts
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting complex electronic, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Experience with high-voltage/ high-current power supplies, analog/digital electronics, programmable logic controllers (PLCs), basic computer networking
- Must have valid drivers’ license
- Must be safety-conscious and able to follow detailed, written procedures
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to walk/stand continuously
- Ability to climb a ladder and be good with heights greater than 30 feet, non-claustrophobic, etc.
- Must work long and irregular hours
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor