Senior Data Technician TelecommunicationsJob ID 3257 Date posted 06/24/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Network Services’ purview is to provide data communications that are highly available and robust in order to facilitate and support BNL research in the physical, biomedical and environmental sciences as well as in energy technologies and national security. Working closely with our users and other IT organizations, we provide reliable, fast and secure solutions that meet the needs of the many disciplines at the Laboratory. Network Services also provides the foundation underlying the critical services within the BNL campus including phone service, security, safety and monitoring.
As a Senior Data Technician, you will be responsible for maintaining a campus style cable plant to include both copper and fiber optic cables, structured wiring, field work, respond to incidents and service requests. While supporting the network and telephony infrastructure, you will work closely with the Network Engineering team to troubleshoot physical layer issues, assist with network installations, and manage assigned projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, maintain, and document diverse types of structured wiring such as Cat 5e, 6 and fiber optic cable.
- Install and maintain underground and horizontal/riser cable infrastructure to include data racks, patch panels, J-Hooks, support rings, and cable tray.
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain Telecom and Network equipment.
- Assist engineering and other BNL staff with all aspects of cable plant.
- Structured Wiring Distribution
- Equipment Rack Wiring
- Work independently, or with other technicians to complete work orders.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires an associate degree in a related scientific, engineering, IT, or related field, or the equivalence of a technical institute certification.
- A minimum six (6) years of relevant work experience, with demonstrated competence in information technology, telecom space.
- Knowledge of telecom systems and network equipment.
- Equipment rack assembly and wiring.
- Must have a good working knowledge of all types of wiring test equipment, including OTDR’s and Cat 5 test sets.
- Works well with team members.
- Can maintain high expectations of customer satisfaction
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Valid state driver’s license
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Industry-related courses and certifications
- BICSI RCCD Certifications (current or past)
- ETA Fiber Optics Installer Certification
- FOA Fiber Certifications
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Must be able to work with hand tools, climb ladders, stoop, kneel, crouch, lift 50 lbs. and carry 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in different environments including inside, outside, confined spaces, new construction, and existing work environment.
- Color Vision: Ability to decipher the various wiring color codes.
- Valid drivers’ license, etc.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now