Scientist Electrical EngineeringJob ID 1659 Date posted 07/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET) Department finds alternatives to fossil fuels, improves energy efficiency, and performs research to address some of the key challenges to modernization of the electric grid to meet our exponentially growing energy needs over the next century and beyond.
The SET Department, in collaboration with others, is performing research in the areas of electric grid modernization and grid integration of renewable energy generation. The goal of our research is to contribute to the development of the next generation Smart Grid, including the application of innovative Smart Grid technologies that could enhance the performance, reliability and resilience of the grid.
The Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET) Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is seeking a Scientist with an Electrical Engineering and Data Analytics background for a two-year appointment to perform research in the areas of electric grid modernization and application of smart grid sensors for improving grid performance. Applicants for this position must have demonstrated experience in the planning and conduct of original research or creative development work at a level requiring a doctorate or its equivalent, plus a minimum of three years of experience in research, development, or associated fields. Candidates with existing sponsor relationships and funded grid research projects are highly desirable.
This position is for a member of the BNL Scientific Staff assigned to the SET Department, reporting to the Renewable Energy Group Leader, Robert Lofaro.
Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate position level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and perform new research projects related to the use of data analytics for enabling the next generation electric grid to realize the full potential of innovative new smart grid technologies, including smart sensors, to improve the performance, reliability and resilience of the grid, and enhance the overall operation of electric utilities.
- Collaborate with other researchers in the SET department, as well as staff from other departments at BNL, including staff supporting the Computational Sciences Initiative at BNL.
- Conceptualize new grid research projects, develop and present project proposals to potential sponsors, and lead the performance of funded projects.
- Technical activities will include modeling and analysis of electrical systems with integrated DER, application of data analytics and machine learning techniques to develop tools for enhanced grid planning and operation, review and analysis of operational data obtained from utility partners, and evaluation of innovative new technologies for applications to smart grids.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- PhD in electrical power systems engineering with a strong focus on modeling and analysis of electrical networks with a minimum of three years of experience in research, development, or associated fields
- Experience in data analytics for application to smart grid technologies
- Working knowledge of the electrical power grid, including both transmission and distribution system planning functions, operations, and restoration following outages, as well as the associated power grid energy markets and how they operate
- Experience modeling electrical networks with integrated distributed energy resources (DER), such as solar, wind, grid-scale storage and load management functionality (e.g. demand-response)
- Experience with “Big Data Analytics” and its application to the planning and operation of a smart electrical power grid
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing sponsor funded research programs, including concept development, proposal writing, budget preparation and project planning
- Proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Proficient in the English language; good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of utility planning practices, grid modeling and control, and/or power electronics
- Experience with one or more power system analytical software programs currently used in the power industry, such as PSCAD™, SimPowerSystems™, OpenDSS, GridLAB-D™, CYME, and/or PSS®E
- Experience in the development and use of integrated system models (ISMs) that combine planning, operation and restoration functionality into a single Geographic Information System (GIS) based model
- Candidates with existing sponsor relationships and funded grid research projects are highly desirable
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor