Scientist Cryo-EMJob ID 2026 Date posted 01/17/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Laboratory of Biomolecular Structure (LBMS) is a state-of-the-art center for life-science imaging, just coming into operation at Brookhaven National Laboratory. LBMS provides support on single-particle and tomographic cryogenic Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) studies (https://www.bnl.gov/cryo-em/). The mission of LBMS is to accelerate dramatically our understanding of processes underlying Biology. The LBMS benefits from a location close to the world-leading X-ray-imaging and structural biology user facilities at National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS‑II).
- Operate our new cryo-TEMs and ancillary equipment; help develop user programs; communicate with scientific and industrial user communities.
- Work closely with users; define optimal experimental design on sample preparation and automated data collection.
- Provide guidance and service in data management and analysis.
Specifically, these scientists will work with the Group Leader to operate the cryo-TEMs and ancillary equipment, perform routine maintenance and quality checks to ensure optimal operation and keep records for user projects and interactions.
Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate position level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
- PhD in structural biology or a related field, and at least 3 years of related experience.
- At least one year of expertise in operating cryo-EM instruments such as Titan Krios, Glacios, Talos L120C, Tecnai TF20.
- Experience in high-resolution cryo-EM single particle data collection using Leginon or SerialEM, and image processing using Relion, cisTEM, CryoSPARC or EMAN2
- Experience in cryo-electron tomography data collection using SerialEM or UCSF tomography, and image processing using IMOD, UCSF tomo, or Protomo
- Cryogenic preparation of biological samples for single-particle or tomography work.
- Use of cryo-FIB or cryo-microtome to prepare and image cryogenic samples.
- Experience in negative staining sample preparation and screening.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically.
- Strong organizational skills and methodical record-keeping.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (One or more of the following):
- Experience in model building using available software such as Phenix and MDFF
- Experience in model refinement, model evaluation and data deposition
- Experience in scripting or programming for automation.
- Experience with fluorescence light microscopy.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now