Research Associate for Aerosol MicrophysicsJob ID 2221 Date posted 06/10/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Environmental and Climate Science research at Brookhaven National Lab is focused on aerosol chemistry and microphysics, aerosol-related infrastructure, climate and process modeling, cloud processes, data management and software engineering, terrestrial ecosystems, meteorological services, and tracer technologies. The Aerosol Chemistry and Microphysics group is focused on improving process-level understanding of aerosol formation and evolution mechanisms, aerosol optical properties and light absorption, and the direct and indirect influences that aerosols have on clouds, precipitation and climate. Understanding the physics, chemistry and dynamics of interactions along this aerosol-cloud-precipitation continuum is crucial for development of a predictive understanding of the climate system.
The goal of the Aerosol Chemistry and Microphysics group is to advance process level understanding of aerosols through laboratory studies, modeling and theoretical investigations, and field measurements. To this end, we excel in the development of new techniques for aerosol measurements, laboratory and field studies, and novel approaches to aerosol simulation. Our immediate goal is to close gaps in our understanding of aerosol lifecycles and to facilitate the incorporation of the new knowledge into models in a way that promotes computation efficiency and reduction of model uncertainty. Our longer-range goal is to improve scientific understanding and quantification of aerosol effects important to regional and global climate.
- Design and conduct laboratory experiments to investigate microphysical, optical, hygroscopic, and cloud-nucleating properties of black carbon-containing particles, and analyze the data collected from these experiments. This will require operating CCN, SP2, CPC, CPMA, PTI, and other instruments, and may also involve off-site work for field testing and campaigns;
- Publish peer-reviewed articles; and,
- Present at national and international meetings.
BNL Policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
- Ph.D. in atmospheric sciences, chemistry, physics, or engineering with specialization in experimental aerosol science (applicants with anticipated degree date by September, 2020 will be considered for appointment upon conferral of degree);
- Proficiency in aerosol instrumentation;
- Experience participating in field campaigns and/or performing laboratory studies;
- Clear and concise oral, written, and presentation skills; and,
- Ability to create and pursue independent research ideas.
- Creativity to design experiments, and the ability, when necessary, to modify instrumentation as driven by the science
- Ability and comfort at working independently
- Working familiarity with electronics and plumbing
- Familiarity with LabView and the ability to modify code as driven by the measurement needs
- A record of publication in high quality, internationally-recognized journals
- Ability to work in a team environment
Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor>*
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now