Postdoctoral Research AssociateJob ID 1467 Date posted 09/20/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The High Energy Theory Group has active programs in all areas of Particle Physics, including Standard Model and beyond, flavor physics and lattice gauge techniques.
The High Energy Theory Group has an opening for full-time Post-Doctoral Research Associate for an initial two-year term with the possibility of a third-year extension depending on performance and availability of funds.
This position will be under the direction of H. Davoudiasl, High Energy Theory Group Leader, Physics Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Propose, plan and perform scientific investigations in pursuit of scientific and technological excellence in all aspects of Particle Physics.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. degree in Physics
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of a wide variety of High Energy Theory research methodologies and techniques such as phenomenology of Particle Physics, Standard Model or models beyond and/or lattice gauge techniques
- Experience with statistical analysis and quantitative and qualitative methods
- Strong computational skills; analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and carry out an independent research program
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate degree within the past five years.
- Candidates seeking to apply should arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent via PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org and cc. email@example.com.
- The application submission deadline is December 9, 2018.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor