Postdoctoral Research AssociateJob ID JR100560 Date posted 11/22/2023
Roles and Responsibilities
- You will develop and characterize ALE processes and protocols for precise thinning of 2D quantum materials.
- You will develop and characterize ALD processes and protocols for select materials (e.g., dielectrics) on 2D quantum materials.
- You will contribute to the characterization of 2D quantum material properties (e.g., structural, chemical, electronic etc.) and their correlation with ALE and ALD processes. Characterization methods include: Low-energy electron microscopy (LEEM), X-ray photoemission electron microscopy (XPEEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), ultrafast transient optical spectroscopy and other advanced surface and spectroscopic techniques.
- You will contribute to the integration of ALE and ALD processes with other capabilities and projects at the CFN, including Quantum Materials Press (QPress)
- You will collaborate with scientific staff with diverse backgrounds including surface science, condensed matter physics, synchrotron X-ray science, device fabrication and physics, data analytics, electron microscopy, physical modeling, and materials theory.
- You will disseminate research findings via paper publications and external presentations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- You are qualified for this role if:You have a Ph.D. in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, or a related engineering discipline, conferred within the past five (5) years or to be completed prior to the starting date.
- Demonstrated experimental expertise in ALE and ALD processes.
- Demonstrated experience in characterization (in-situ and/or ex-situ) and data analysis for materials, surface science, and/or vacuum deposition/processes.
- You communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations/proceedings.
- Committed to creative and independent research, teamwork, and fostering an environment of safe scientific work practices.
- You are committed to cultivating an inclusive and respectful workplace environment.
Preferred background and experience:
- Experience in plasma-enchanced ALE of compound semiconductors and/or 2D materials.
- You have experience in materials characterization and analysis based on surface science techniques (e.g., X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), LEEM, XPEEM, and scanning probe microscopy techniques)
- Hands-on experience in ALE and/or ALD instrumentations.
- Experience in the in-situ process characterization instrumentation for ALE and/or ALD.
- Working knowledge of 2D materials.
- Ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team to tackle challenging scientific problems.
Brookhaven Laboratory is committed to providing fair, equitable and competitive compensation. The full salary range for this position is $68,400-90,825-113,250. Salary offers will be commensurate with the final candidate’s qualification, education and experience and considered with the internal peer group.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now