Postdoctoral Research Associate - High Energy Physics - Intensity FrontierJob ID 1484 Date posted 10/09/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Electronic Detector Group (EDG) in the Physics Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory has major current responsibilities centered on an extensive neutrino program focused on the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) and including Daya Bay, PROSPECT and the short baseline neutrino program at FNAL (SBN), as well as development of associated detectors. BNL has significant leadership in rare process research, including g-2 and Belle II. The EDG currently has twenty physicists at various career levels and a long history of research in fundamental particle physics. In collaboration with the Instrumentation Division the group is performing research and development in electronics and detector design for liquid-argon TPCs. In collaboration with the BNL Chemistry Department, the group is performing research and development on water-based liquid scintillator and reactor neutrino experiments.
The Physics Department has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to participate in both near-term neutrino experiments and preparations for the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE). The candidate will work within the electronic detector group and have broad associations with other groups in the laboratory and throughout the world to carry out his/her function.
The selected candidate will work under the general assignment of the EDG scientific staff. This is a two-year postdoctoral position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in experimental high energy or nuclear physics.
- Interest in physics at the intensity frontier
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with detector simulation and detector physics/development
- Exceptional track record in experimental particle or nuclear physics with accomplishments in hardware design and/or construction, analysis and simulations
- Experience with data acquisition and analysis
- Experience with detector development: design, construction, testing, operation
- Experience with Geant4 and detector simulation
- Experience with object-oriented programming, including ROOT, Python, LArSoft
- Extensive analysis of experimental and simulated neutrino data
- Experience with liquid argon time projection neutrino detectors and analysis of their data
- Requires domestic and foreign travel
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor