Postdoctoral Research Associate for Advanced Accelerator DevelopmentJob ID 2772 Date posted 08/10/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The NSLS-II Accelerator Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to participate in our research program focused on delivering conceptual design of the NSLS-II accelerator upgrade. Specifically, the successful candidate will participate in the design and analysis of linear and nonlinear lattice for the storage ring, particle tracking, simulations of injection, analysis of magnetic fields. Contribute to lattice beam studies at existing NSLS-II storage ring.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the NSLS-II upgrade LDRD including the design of new ring lattices, beam physics simulation and analysis.
- Work with Accelerator Physics and Engineering experts on designing of the ring components
- Study injection schemes in low-emittance ring lattice
- Analyze machine geometry and magnetic fields to include these in the machine model
- Specify and design normal-, permanent- and superconducting magnets
- Give presentations and report ongoing work
- Present technical papers at conferences and publish in scientific journals
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD degree in Physics or related discipline, with a concentration in accelerators or beam physics
- Experience working with particle accelerator systems
- Knowledge of one or more programming language for physics simulations and data analysis
- Ability to perform detailed simulations of the physical processes being studied, including the simulation of particle beams and their transport in complex ring lattices.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of particle accelerators and emerging particle acceleration techniques and technologies
- Working knowledge of the Matlab and Python programming language
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now