Postdoctoral Research Associate - Energy Storage MaterialsJob ID 1596 Date posted 01/11/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Sustainable Energy Technologies Department finds alternatives to fossil fuels and improves energy efficiency to meet our exponentially growing energy needs over the next century and beyond. The department focuses research on energy storage such as batteries, renewable energy and grid integration, energy conversion, and long-term integrated energy, environmental, and economic analysis.
The Sustainable Energy Technologies Department is seeking an exceptional Postdoctoral Research Associate in the synthetic design of novel high-performance cathode materials for next-generation lithium ion batteries and other battery systems. The successful candidate will work with the principal investigator to develop advanced methods for synthesizing cathode materials by design, as well as synchrotron x-ray and electron microscopy techniques for studying materials synthesis and operando performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing synthetic approaches for preparing new cathode materials in Li-ion batteries and other advanced battery systems
- Performing structural and electrochemical characterization of electrode materials
- Developing and applying in-situ techniques to studies of chemical reactions during synthesis
- Studying the degradation mechanisms of battery electrodes
- Disseminating research findings with high-quality scientific papers and presentations
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- PhD degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Condensed Matter Physics, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, or a closely related field
- Demonstrated background in materials synthesis and electrochemistry
- Ability to work collaboratively with group members and internal/external colleagues
- Skills for effective communications, verbally and through writing
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with synchrotron x-ray, electron microscopy, or neutron scattering techniques for materials characterization
- Background in crystallography
- Experience in in situ characterization
- Ability to analyze x-ray/neutron diffraction data through Rietveld refinement and pair distribution function methods
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
* Medical Plans
* Dental Plans
* Life Insurance
* 401(K) Plan
* Swimming Pool, Weight room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor