Postdoctoral Research Associate – Antineutrino DetectionJob ID 2780 Date posted 08/16/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for a postdoctoral Research Associate. The candidate will be expected to take a leading role in the group activities including the design, characterization, and development of detector materials for reactor antineutrino detection (AIT-NE0). This position is for an initial term of two years and would be under the direction of Neutrino and Nuclear Chemistry group.
Brookhaven has leadership positions within the AIT-NE0 collaboration for remote detection of antineutrinos emitted from nuclear power reactors, using a Water Cerenkov or Water-based Liquid Scintillator Detector in a deep mine at the Boulby Underground Laboratory (UK). Additionally, the group is a member of several collaborations to develop and build Metal-Loaded Liquid Scintillator detectors for neutrino flavor research, dark matter searches, and other rare event physics.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in nuclear physics, particle physics, nuclear chemistry, separations chemistry, or radiochemistry.
- Experience in a variety of experimental techniques such as nuclear detection methods, preparation and handling of radioactive samples, and scintillator separations and characterization of metal-organic complexes in organic and aqueous media.
- Domestic and international travel is required
This is a two-year term position and offers a meaningful learning and networking opportunity.
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past 5 years.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Any information pertaining to the environment, health or safety requirements for a position that will be considered when evaluating a candidate
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now