Postdoc Research Associate-Semiconductor Detector R&DJob ID 2175 Date posted 07/26/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of capabilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
Instrumentation Division invites applicants for a two-year Research Associate position to perform research and development in the field of semiconductor detectors, e.g. based on high-Z materials. The successful candidate will work closely with experts in detector development in topics related to fabrication of several sensor materials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Study and investigation of new materials and technologies for semiconductor sensors.
- Development of semiconductor sensors fabrication technologies.
- Development of integration technologies for semiconductor sensors.
- Testing and validation of semiconductor sensors.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Physics, Materials Sciences, Electrical Engineering or related disciplines.
- Experience in at least one of the following topics: crystal growth techniques (preferable of compound semiconductors for radiation detection); semiconductor processing; thin films processing; microlithography.
- Self-motivated. Ability to work independently and as part of diverse team.
- Proven written and verbal communications skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience of crystal growth by Bridgman techniques.
- Characterization techniques such as EDAX, XPS etc.
- Experience working in clean room.
- Experience with surface passivation and bonding schemes.
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now