Postdoc Research Associate Accelerator PhysicsJob ID 1232 Date posted 03/12/2018
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a two-year term Post-doctoral Research Associate position to join the current effort on the electron cooling projects for RHIC. The successful candidate is expected to take part in experimental studies and commissioning of bunched beam electron cooling for Low-Energy RHIC Electron Cooling (LEReC) project. In addition, the candidate will work on design and simulations of high-energy bunched beam electron cooler for future Electron Ion Collider.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take active part in commissioning of bunched beam electron cooling at LEReC
- Perform experimental and simulation studies of electron cooling
- Analyze experimental data and physical models
- Design of high-energy bunch electron cooler
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Physics
- Experience with writing simulations codes
- Experience in analyzing experimental data and physical models
- Interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse group of scientists, engineers and technical staff
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Accelerator Physics
- Experimental experience with electron cooling
- Theoretical knowledge of electron cooling process
- Experience with programming languages such as Matlab, MathCad, Python, C
- Knowledge of electron cooling diagnostics
- Experience with commissioning electron coolers
- Experience with simulations of electron cooling beam dynamics
- Experience in the analytical modeling
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor