Postdoc in Neutrino PhysicsJob ID 3608 Date posted 02/03/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The position is in Electronic Detector Group (EDG) in the Physics Department at BNL. EDG has a long history in the study of kaon, muon and neutrino physics, and recently in heavy flavor physics (Belle II). EDG physicists have major responsibilities in several neutrino experiments: the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) and its prototype (ProtoDUNE), the short-baseline neutrino program (SBN includes MicroBooNE, SBND, and ICARUS), and the reactor neutrino experiments (Daya Bay and PROSPECT). The EDG currently has twenty-five physicists at various career levels. In collaboration with the Instrumentation Division, the group performs R&D in electronics, detector design, and event reconstruction for liquid-argon TPCs (LArTPC). In collaboration with the BNL Chemistry Department, the group performs R&D on liquid scintillator and water-based liquid scintillator detectors. In collaboration with the Computational Science Initiative, the group develops new software and computing infrastructures to advance Intensity Frontier research.
The Physics Department has an opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher to take a leading role in development of future LArTPC experiments (DUNE Phase I, II, and their prototypes) and physics analysis of current LArTPC neutrino experiments (MicroBooNE, SBND, ICARUS). We seek talented individuals to work on detector simulation, event reconstruction, data analysis techniques, and detector R&D. The expected physics analyses include measurement of neutrino oscillations, neutrino-argon cross-section extractions, search for physics beyond the standard model, and study of physics sensitivities of future experiments. This position has a high level of interaction with international and multicultural scientific communities.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct detector simulation (TPC, photon detector, and electronic readout), event reconstruction, and physics sensitivity studies with a focus to expand science program in future LArTPC experiments
- Lead the analysis of current LArTPC neutrino experiments, including measurement of neutrino oscillations, neutrino-argon cross section extraction, or beyond standard model searches
- Communicate, prepare, and conduct presentations in a wide community of physicists, engineers, and managers at meetings and conferences
- Document research results and publish papers in scientific journals
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in experimental particle, nuclear physics or related fields
- Programming ability and proficiency with modern program language such as C++ and Python
- Familiarity with detector simulation and physics data analysis
- Demonstrated ability to perform research independently and as part of a research group
- Clear and concise oral and written communication
- Demonstrated track record of publication of research in high-quality peer-reviewed journals
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with noble liquid detector technology such as LArTPC
- Experience with photon detector technology such as PMT or SiPM
- Experience in detector electronics hardware
- In your electronic application submission, please include (in one document) a cover letter, curriculum vitae, publication list, and a brief description of research interests. After electronic submission of application, applicants should arrange for at least three letters of recommendation to be sent electronically to PhysicsLOR@bnl.gov.
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a postdoc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness, or other life-changing events.
- Initial 2-year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.