Postdoc in BNL PHENIX GroupJob ID 2904 Date posted 11/15/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
A primary research focus of the Brookhaven Physics Department is the exploration of hot and cold QCD using the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC). The PHENIX (Pioneering High Energy Nuclear Interaction eXperiment) Group in the BNL Physics Department has long played a major role within the PHENIX experiment at RHIC, which was decommissioned in 2016, both on operations and physics analysis. Since 2016, the group remains highly active in the production of physics results, shown at major conferences worldwide, with particular focus on spin physics, heavy flavor, direct photons and two-particle correlations.
The Physics Department has an opening for a Research Associate/Postdoc for a two year term assignment. You will work closely with scientists in the PHENIX group to finalize high priority PHENIX analyses, such as measurements of prompt dileptons and direct photons, and of the nuclear modification and flow of charm and bottom quarks. Responsibilities will also include the support of ongoing data analysis and contributions to long term data preservation. Additional opportunities include involvement in sPHENIX software development and preparations for detector commissioning. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform physics analysis using PHENIX data
- Provide PHENIX support and maintaining software code
- Participate in sPHENIX software development and preparations for detector commissioning
- Collaborate with scientists on publishing research findings
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Particle or Nuclear Physics
- Experience with data analysis techniques
- Experience in experimental particle and high-energy nuclear physics
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge in C++, ROOT, and GEANT programming
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Long stretches of computer keyboard utilization
- Requires travel, including foreign travel
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events. Initial two (2) year term appointment subject to one (1) year option renewal contingent on funding and performance.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now