Post-Doctoral Position in Computational Data Science with Natural Language ProcessingJob ID 1295 Date posted 04/30/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific, extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. With over 125 PB of archived data, we host the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. In contrast to many others, this is an active archive were we continuously reuse all the data in the archive. In 2017 we analyzed 500PB of data on site. This data comes largely from the many scientific user facilities that we support at BNL such as: the unique nuclear physics experiment RHIC, the brightest synchrotron in the world NSLS II, the largest Tier 1 center for the LHC Atlas experiment, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program.
As a result we have a lively, fast growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation and use of data at extreme scales and in real time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
New generation detectors such as those becoming available at the National Synchrotron Light Source at BNL (NSLS-II) produce massive amounts of data that require novel infrastructure and advanced computing discovery and analysis techniques to address the challenges of designing and validating new material structures.
A post-doctoral position is available immediately for 2 years in the Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at Brookhaven National Laboratory. The successful candidate will conduct research in information retrieval, Deep Learning (DL), Natural Language Processing (NLP), and provenance techniques to materials and crystallography data for the purpose of building a prototype computational data system.
- Research, design, and implement techniques for capturing and using entities from the applicable scientific literature
- Adapt and optimize NLP algorithms to solve the problem at hand
- Strategy development of novel approaches for high volume provenance capture and integration
- Participate as primary author or make significant contributions to scientific publications and presentations at leading relevant conferences
- Collaborate on proposals, grants in the area of big data systems as need arises
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Applied Math, Computational Linguistics
- Strong publication track record congruent with PhD or current position
- Familiarity with NLP libraries (NLP Toolkit, Scikit-Learn, Gensim, etc…)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in developing scientific codes written in Python, C, C++, or Matlab
- Programming in languages of interest to scientific and high performance computing
- Experience with big data platforms
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch and related tools (Kibana, Logstash, Redis, Lucene)
- Scientific background in materials data systems and x-ray characterization techniques
- Track record of producing high quality software on schedule with documentation
- Proven ability to disseminate scientific research results by writing manuscripts and giving scientific presentations at national and international conferences
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary scientific collaborations
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor