Network Server ArchitectJob ID 3263 Date posted 06/17/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
We seek a Network Server Architect to join our EIC Controls Group. In this lead role, you will design, build, commission and support operations of a control system network with several thousand instrumentation nodes and hundreds of LINUX computer nodes. The job requires configuration and monitoring of the control network. You will join a newly established and growing group reporting to the EIC Control System Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage an architecture that supports hard, real time, low latency, hardware for global feedback, equipment protection, and global timing and event synchronization.
- Work with stakeholders to determine networking and associated distributed computing resource requirements for the project.
- Develop facility networking plans that consider equipment cost, schedule, and labor requirements in order to achieve the goals of the project, considering a mixture of new and existing buildings.
- Support the network application design and deployment needs of the EIC Controls Group, as well as other project groups.
- Provide the security required for an industrial facility while designing access to allow support from Subject Matter Experts that may not be on site.
- Design and support the data life cycle for all operations and machine learning data.
- Design and build the operations control room and server room for all operations.
- Support the development of the cable plant and rack layouts for all network and computer components.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- B.S. in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related degree, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in network design, deployment and management tools for process controls systems.
- Experience with modern tools for configuring and monitoring the state of health of the control network.
- Knowledge of network hardware, monitoring, and life cycle management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of network security and computer resources for a demanding control system.
- Experience functioning in a lead developer role.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists and engineers.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience working at large physics facilities.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Most work will be performed at personal computer workstation, though there will be periods where meetings will be held in-person in various locations or virtually
- Field visits to EIC facilities in order to review infrastructure layouts, coordinate work with team members orother stakeholders,or troubleshoot issues may be necessary on occasion
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now