.Net Applications DeveloperJob ID 3286 Date posted 07/27/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Information Technology Division is to provide expertise in computing hardware and software support, as well as telecommunications services for the entire Laboratory. Investigates, recommends, and automates process improvements to business systems within the Lab community. Oversees library, publications, and records management.
The Information Technology division has an opening for a .Net programmer that will development and maintain the Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) Software Applications. The areas include Chemical Management and Radiological Controls. The Chemical Management applications are used to track and manage our chemical inventory. The Radiological applications are used to maintain and protect the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public and the environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibilities will include the design, development, and maintenance of applications for the Environment Safety and Health directorate. Including developing Web based applications, reports, user interfaces, databases and the production and maintenance of technical, end-user, and project documentation.
- This position requires a creative individual with excellent problem solving and communication skills, with the ability to handle multiple priorities and strict deadlines, and will be responsible for designing, developing, maintaining, enhancing, and testing of existing ES&H applications as well as the development of new applications. Should demonstrate the ability to work both independently and as a member of a software development team.
- Some additional user support and system administration tasks will also be required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience in computer science or a related field
- Eight (8) plus years of experience in the design, coding, testing, and troubleshooting of information systems.
- Candidates must possess a background in the development and deployment of secure enterprise applications using ASP.NET (C# or VB.NET – ability to work in both preferred), jQuery, and SQL, and experience with Oracle and PL/SQL and/or SQL Server.
- A detailed understanding of relational and object-oriented data modeling concepts and techniques is mandatory.
- Must be proficient with Windows desktop and server operating systems and possess a firm understanding of basic networking principles.
- Candidates must display excellent written and oral communication skills and should have experience working with customers to gather requirements as well as the analysis of business need.
- Candidate must be able to work well both independently on projects and as a member of a team. The ability to work on interdisciplinary systems is essential, as is the ability to learn about business areas outside of the candidate’s expertise.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with SharePoint technologies is desirable.
- The following skills are desired but not required - Business Requirements Analysis Experience, ASP.NET MVC, Entity Framework, .NET Core, IIS, ASP.NET Web Service Development, Experience with GIT, SharePoint .NET Experience, SharePoint, Graphical Design experience.
- Valid US drivers’ license, use of private car, location, travel requirements
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis.)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now