Mgr Export Control ProgramJob ID 1563 Date posted 01/06/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the legal office of Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is to further the Laboratory’s strategic goals by protecting and preserving the Laboratory’s legal, ethical, and financial integrity and reputation. The objective is to provide superior legal services to support the world-class science being performed at BNL. This is accomplished by providing strategic legal advice and counsel and seeking to ensure that all members of the Laboratory staff conduct their activities in accordance with applicable law and standards consistent with the goals, vision, and values of the Laboratory.
The legal department’s services include drafting and negotiating legal agreements; providing counsel on employee relations matters, environmental safety & health regulatory compliance, intellectual property rights, and administrative proceedings and litigation. Members of the legal department are expected to participate in various Lab committees and initiatives, and be readily accessible to assist management and staff members.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) seeks an expertly experienced professional to manage comprehensive duties and responsibilities associated with the Laboratory’s Export Control (EC) Compliance Program. This senior level position provides the subject matter expertise necessary to guide and execute programmatic priorities, understand and apply pertinent federal regulations, and develop appropriate best practices that effectively and efficiently mitigate export control risks encountered in BNL’s business processes or research.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with customers, DOE, and other sponsor personnel through provision of information and collaborative problem solving in compliance with dynamic Export Control (EC) regulations and requirements.
- Serve as the expert and primary point of contact for advice, resources, education, and coordination of export control compliance. This includes regular technology and research project screening activities, as well as education and outreach about export control regulatory compliance and related topics. The Export Compliance Officer will conduct regular small group sessions and facilitate seminars as appropriate.
- Identify needs for enhancement to the BNL EC program to strengthen performance at all Laboratory operating levels and determine how to best utilize available Laboratory resources to meet those needs.
- Develop and implement Laboratory wide EC policies and procedures. Draft and maintain policies and training manuals and website resources.
- Prepare and deliver ongoing training for Laboratory staff and management, tailored as necessary to organizational areas, e.g., Purchasing and Property, Management, User Facilities, and Strategic Partnerships Programs, as well as scientists and operations staff.
- Provide leadership for EC outreach to BNL staff, internal and external clients and other DOE and UC entities.
- Conduct EC analysis of individual projects and technologies. This involves working with scientists to understand the technology, individuals, and facilities involved and determining whether a technology control plan (TCP) is needed, and drafting the TCP,
- if warranted. In some cases, this could require filing for a formal commodity jurisdiction determination or export license with federal agencies. Responsible for maintenance of all export licenses and TCPs.
- Review BNL property for ITAR status (surveys) and Export Control Classification Numbers (ECCN), in particular, with respect to international shipments, and determine the appropriate path forward based on policy, regulations, and/or past practice.
- Complete restricted party screenings of individuals and entities as they apply to the specific workload task, e.g. CRADAs, SPPs, Technical Service and/or ACT agreements.
- Review Laboratory transactions, i.e., Foreign Visits and Assignments, Purchase Requisitions, travel requests, etc., for compliance with federal export control regulations, where errors in judgment can result in significant negative impact to the Laboratory.
- Assist with internal and external assessments of the EC Program, including risk assessments and EC Program compliance audits.
- Provide leadership and influence with peer groups, (i.e. ECCO, UC Export Control Workgroup).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in International Trade, Security Management, Criminal Justice, Business, Education, related field.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant, contemporary, full-time professional work experience.
- Demonstrated using professional concepts and objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Excellent analytical skills to handle complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth evaluation of variable and technical factors.
- Ability to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provide guidance to other personnel as necessary.
- Strong written and verbal skills with a working knowledge of various sponsors, governmental, statutory, and Laboratory procedures and requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to foster relationships with internal/external customers and stakeholders.
- Direct experience-making export control determinations, applying for licenses, and communicating with federal agencies.
- Knowledge of the databases and electronic systems required to implement regulations (Visual Compliance, DS- 4076 CJ Determination Form, SNAP-R, D-Trade).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in a related field
- J.D. degree
- Prior experience in a federally funded Laboratory environment preferred
- Professional license and/or certification
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor