Meteorological Software Developer and Data AnalystJob ID 3725 Date posted 04/06/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Environmental & Climate Sciences Department (ECSD) (www.bnl.gov/envsci) at Brookhaven National Laboratory focuses on a wide range of theoretical, experimental, and field studies in support of the U.S. Department of Energy's climate and energy research agendas. Work is supported by the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) User Facility (www.arm.gov), an observations-based program that measures aerosols, clouds, precipitation, radiation, and atmospheric dynamics; the Atmospheric Systems Research Program (https://asr.science.energy.gov/), and the Environmental System Science Program (https://ess.science.energy.gov/). This work is pursued with the ultimate goal of improving predictability and reducing the uncertainty in global and regional climate models. The department research portfolio also includes development of environmental technologies and applications for renewable energies, urban science, and national security.The Cloud Processes Group (https://www.bnl.gov/envsci/cloud/), within ECSD is recognized for its state-of-the-art observational and modeling studies of the microphysical and dynamical processes that impact the lifecycle of clouds, with the aim of improving their representation in earth system models and increase our ability to understand and project global change.
The Cloud Processes Group invites applications for a Data Analyst and Software Developer. The selected candidate will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of meteorological data products to optimize the scientific utility of data (particularly from weather radar) collected by the Department of Energy's Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) user facility (https://www.arm.gov/). The candidate will also assist scientists in analyzing and assessing forecast model output using observations. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop software for evaluation, analysis and visualization of atmospheric science data
- Analyze meteorological data and model output, and interpret results
- Interact with outside collaborators regarding project progress and planning
- Present results at internal and external scientific meetings
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent in meteorology, computer science, physical sciences, or a related discipline
- Minimum three (3) years of full-time relevant experience
- Expertise in high-level programming languages (including one or more of Python, C, IDL)
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX environment
- Working knowledge of fundamentals and best practices of modern software development, including a deep understanding of various languages, technologies, and solutions for front end applications
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Relevant graduate degree
- Knowledge of machine learning practices
- Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
- This is an on-site position eligible for consideration of flexible work arrangement (hybrid telework) at the discretion of the manager/dept chair
- Initial one year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
- The appointment will be under the direction of Dr. Scott Giangrande
- This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.