Mechanical Technical SpecialistJob ID 1062 Date posted 06/02/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Accelerator Components & Instrumentation Group is responsible for operation and upgrade of a wide variety of beam instrumentation systems for the RHIC complex of particle accelerators, both existing and future planned development. The Collider-Accelerator Department is looking for a technical specialist to provide technical support for the operation of a variety of complex beam line instrumentation systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Experience with a variety of mechanical assembly and fabrication methods that includes operating lathes, milling machines, drill presses, sheet metal fabrications, height gauges, micrometers
- Plan, coordinate, and perform challenging assignments under general technical direction and with latitude for the exercise of a high degree of initiative and judgment. These are usually on a project basis in such areas as design, development, operation, construction or testing.
- May eventually direct and coordinate the work efforts of other technical support personnel assigned to a team of technicians and assist in many phases of component selection, prototyping, construction, and system commissioning and equipment operation
- Assignments may also include high current/high voltage, RF system fabrications, field installations and repairs and photocathode substrate deposition.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Equivalence of a technical institute or Associate's degree in manufacturing technology and at least (6) years relevant work experience
- Demonstrated competence in working with electronic/mechanical systems
- The ability to work from mechanical drawings and schematics
- Experience with computers (example: Microsoft Office) and computer generated drawing software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with laser systems, especially high power lasers
- Training, education, and/or experience with precision electrical/mechanical operating systems
- UHV component assembly within a cleanroom environment
- CNC machine experience
- Familiarity with photocathode substrate deposition systems
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations
- Will receive periodic training on the environmental, health and safety rules.
- Responsible for following all of the rules and keeping refresher training up to date
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor