Mechanical EngineerJob ID 3379 Date posted 11/21/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is a state-of-the-art, medium-energy electron storage ring (3 billion electron-volts) designed to deliver world-leading intensity and brightness and will produce x-rays more than 10,000 times brighter than the original NSLS. The superlative character and combination of capabilities are expected to have broad impact on a wide range of disciplines and scientific initiatives, including the National Institutes of Health’s structural genomics initiative, DOE’s Genomics:GTL initiative, and the federal nanoscience initiative.
The Insertion Device group in the Accelerator Division is seeking a Mechanical Engineer. The selected candidate will report to the NSLS-II Insertion Device Group Leader. National Synchrotron Light Source-II. Insertion Devices (ID) Group at the Accelerator Systems Division develops and maintains insertion devices installed in the NSLS-II storage ring. ID group conducts very precise magnetic measurement to certify various magnetic devices used in the NSLS-II ring and planned to be used for the future upgrade.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mechanical design of new permanent magnet based IDs and superconducting IDs.
- Develop engineering solutions to support project requirements, further engineering analysis and engineering R&D
- Coordinate maintenance of the existing IDs in the NSLS-II storage ring.
- Coordinate the work of technical staff for design, fabrication, assembly, test, installation and operation of insertion device systems
- Prepare work plans and procedures
- Work control coordinator and Lock-out and Tag-out (LOTO) personnel
- Bachelor’s Degree degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- At least 7 years of full time, progressively responsible, related work experience
- Experience in mechanical design in the context of at least one of the following areas is required:ultra-high vacuum, cryogenic environment, high precision, low vibration and movable mechanical support systems, high precision motion control, permanent magnet systems, or high field quality magnet systems.
- Experience with 3D CAD modeling software
- Familiarity with advanced methods for optical survey, metrology, and precision drives and encoders.
- Ability to interpret detail/assembly drawings and technical procedures,
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a small, dynamic team of engineers, scientists and technicians.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (experience in at least one or more of the following):
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Knowledge or experience in thermal, structural analysis using ANSYS® and Inventor®
- Working experience in these areas in an accelerator laboratory or similar scientific laboratory
- Experience with Software tools such as MatLab, Mathematica, Inventor or Linux operating system.
- Practical experience developing and building sub-systems for particle accelerators, magnets or insertion devices
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Requires working in laboratory, industrial, construction, noise, and radiation environments in strict compliance with safety directives
- Requires occasional climbing ladders, moderate lifting up to 30 pounds, and working in the vicinity of operating machinery
- Physical coordination & balance.
- Candidate will be placed at appropriate level contingent upon depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now