Mechanical EngineerJob ID 3010 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Magnet Division (MD) designs, builds, and tests superconducting magnets for use in particle accelerators world-wide. The Magnet Division also builds magnets for various other applications (e.g., Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage) and provides magnetic measurement services lab-wide.
The Magnet Division has an opening for a Mechanical Design Engineer. In this role, you will work with a team of engineers and scientists on the design of superconducting magnets and tooling, and support manufacturing efforts. You will execute solid models of magnets and associated tooling and equipment, create engineering drawings from those models, and prepare purchase requisitions and/or machine shop fabrication shop orders for those components. The position also performs specific and limited portions of finite element analysis and engineering calculations in support of the design effort. May also build and evaluate prototypes and models, construct, and test systems/equipment, conduct acceptance tests, and may propose upgrades or improvements. May also be asked to prepare for preliminary design reviews, review engineering specifications, and present reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Solid modeling and engineering drawing creation of superconducting magnets and magnet tooling, both parts and assemblies, using 3D modeling and design software.
- Conduct finite element analysis of thermal and structural components using ANSYS workbench.
- Support procurement, fabrication, and construction efforts.
- Support design and safety reviews
- Support fabrication, assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and other technical staff
- Independently plan, coordinate, and execute assignments
(The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field, plus at least three (3) years’ relevant experience
- Knowledge of material properties, manufacturing/machine shop processes, welding, hardware & component choice, manufacturing, installation, and dimensioning and tolerances
- Demonstrated ability to create accurate and detailed 3D system models and designs and then use them to generate mechanical manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5 standards
- Ability to perform mechanical engineering design and analysis/calculation functions independently with general direction and review by a mechanical engineer or scientist
- Good technical communication skills for close communication with engineers (e.g., reporting changes and modifications) and with technical staff who assemble magnets and install and maintain tooling and equipment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Creo solid modeling software.
- Proficient in ANSYS Mechanical FEA
- Ability to review and check the 3D models and fabrication drawings of design staff
- Experience with custom scientific equipment including vacuum chambers & components, high current and high voltage equipment, water cooling, and/or cryogenic components
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand / eye coordination
- Moderate lifting (up to 30 pounds)
- Ability to climb a ladder
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now