Mechanical EngineerJob ID 2030 Date posted 06/01/2020
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The Department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach. Mechanical Engineers assigned to the Experimental Support & Facilities Division design new equipment installations, build large static and dynamic structures, lifting fixtures, water- and air-cooling systems, and support the installation of RF and Cryogenic systems.
The Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) has an opening for a Mechanical Engineer to work on assignments that will include Project evaluation, estimating, design, modification, specification, scheduling, and the co-ordination of a variety of technical functions associated with structures, water and power distribution, environmental control, electromagnets, radiation shielding, and other equipment used to support Experiments at the Collider-Accelerator Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Engineering design, evaluation and analysis for the construction and maintenance of the Accelerator complex facilities at CAD.
- Provide Engineering design, evaluation and analysis for the installation of new facilities and the upgrade of existing facilities with structural modifications, infrastructure improvements and utility systems improvements such as air-conditioning, water cooling, fire protection, & heating systems.
- Develop projects from initial concept, through design, specification, bidding and installation and closeout
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering
- Minimum three (3) years progressively responsible related work experience is required
- Experience in the operation, installation or commissioning of industrial, marine or power systems or engineering experience in mechanical systems design or installation at a large research facility
- Familiar with ASME/ASCE standards, building codes, NFPA and OSHA requirements
- Proficient with Auto-CAD, MS Project and MS Office
- Creative engineering, work hands on with mechanical equipment, and work as a team to develop and build unique equipment
- Excellent written and oral skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3D modeling capability (ProE / Creo)
- Ability to adapt to evolving circumstances, operate successfully in a rigorously regulated environment, and manages multiple competing priorities
- Knowledge of rigging techniques, machining practices, welding, piping systems design and installation
- Ability to positively interact with internal and external customers, contractors, vendors and skilled trades
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to carry weights up to 30 lbs
- Ability to work at heights at or around five feet
- May stand for long periods of time
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now