Mechanical Engineer (Experienced/Career Level)Job ID 1635 Date posted 02/27/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
Within the Collider-Accelerator Department, the Experimental Support and Facilities Division has an opening for an experienced Mechanical Engineer to design and build new equipment installations, large static and dynamic structures, lifting fixtures, water- and air-cooling systems, and provide support for the installation of Accelerator, Cryogenic, and RF systems.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop projects from initial concept, through design, specification, bidding and installation and closeout (Also includes evaluation, estimating, modification, scheduling)
- Oversight and coordination of a variety of technical functions associated with structures, water and power distribution, environmental control, electromagnets, radiation shielding, and other equipment used to support experiments in the Collider-Accelerator Department
- Perform engineering design and analysis for structures and systems
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marine, Mechanical or Civil Engineering
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the operation, installation or commissioning of industrial, marine or power systems or construction projects of widely varying sizes
- Capable of supporting the construction and maintenance of the Accelerator complex facilities. Demonstrated experience supporting the installation of new facilities and the upgrade of existing facilities with structural modifications, infrastructure improvements and utility systems improvements such as air-conditioning, water cooling, fire protection, & heating systems
- Proven project development and management skills
- Familiar with ASME/ASCE standards, building codes, NFPA and OSHA requirements.
- Proficient with Auto-CAD, MS Project and MS Office
- Creative engineering, work hands on with mechanical equipment, and work as a team to develop and build unique equipment
- Excellent written and oral skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3D modeling capability (ProE / Creo)
- Ability to adapt to evolving circumstances, operate successfully in a rigorously regulated environment, and manage multiple competing priorities.
- Knowledge of rigging techniques, machining practices, welding, piping systems design and installation.
- Ability to positively interact with internal and external customers, contractors, vendors and skilled trades
- Supervisory or managerial experience with Technical or Engineering direct reports, a plus
- PE license or EIT
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Individual may be required to work outdoors in varying weather conditions, climb ladders and/or work in Confined Spaces
- Individual will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker and may be required to work in Radiation and/or High Radiation areas.
- Individual may be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Individual will be required to take fall-protection BNL training and work at heights
- Individual will be required to obtain BNL ODH medical clearance
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor