Licensing AssociateJob ID 2722 Date posted 06/25/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory's Office of Technology Commercialization and Partnerships (TCP) manages and advances the commercialization of cutting-edge discoveries and technologies by fostering collaborations with industry through licensing and sponsored research. Brookhaven's state-of-the-art facilities are available to industry for research and development in such diverse fields as biology and medicine, chemistry and environmental sciences, physics and material science.
Lead and coordinate marketing projects within the Office of Technology Transfer (TT) technology transfer team to build industry awareness of BNL technologies and capabilities. Implement designated marketing operations including customer relationship management initiatives, analyzing trends and monitoring marketing metrics, assisting team with invention disclosure triage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the operations of all marketing programs including developing marketing plans, coordinating initiatives, and evaluating outcomes.
- Assists in triaging invention reports and review of commercial potential of BNL intellectual property.
- Establishes measurable goals and develops strategies to evaluate marketing effectiveness. Uses technical knowledge and proprietary databases such as Innography to review technologies and develop IP management including marketing plans.
- Implements improved methods to expand audience base and track results of marketing efforts. Identify marketing opportunities for licensing.
- Collaborates and consults with cross-functional teams to achieve marketing project goals, including working with researchers and industry to assess needs. Work closely with all research and other staff to identify, review, protect, market, and deploy new technologies. Prepares marketing reports, fact sheets to be posted on various websites, and analyzes progress towards goals.
- Collaborates with Technology Transfer Manager and researchers to create better processes for IP management and other functions geared to enhance technology transfer activities.
- Negotiate licenses/options and all other IP agreements. Assist Licensing Administrator in monitoring licenses, tracking diligence and/or milestone requirements and/or payment schedules. Assist in the Technology Maturation, Proof of Concept, SBIR/STTR/TCF/PACT and other early stage funding programs.
- Provide content for the TCP's website and Lab Partnering Service Site portal as well as any other online program to increase awareness of BNL technologies & assist licensing administrator with updating same.
- Other related functions and special projects as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a physical science or engineering with a minimum of 10 years’ experience with 2 years directly related experience in:
- developing and executing business strategies
- developing solid business partnerships with the industry
- negotiating agreements with the industry
- analyzing commercialization potential for Laboratory-based inventions is preferred
- leading and participating in cross-functional teams crossing multiple organizational boundaries
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects and operate with high-level of independence
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams via collaboration and influence
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and create effective presentations
- Clear and concise communication skills and the ability to interact with scientists in different disciplinaries
- Excellent internal consulting and management skills
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment with attorneys, licensing professionals, potential licenses, and researchers from different scientific disciplines
- Applicant must be a “U.S. Person” as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- MBA or Ph.D. in a physical science or engineering
- Considerable knowledge of science and demonstrated ability to implement best practices and monitor trends on new initiatives
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand dexterity – for computer work
- Hearing & Vision - for alarms and computer work
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now