Human Resources GeneralistJob ID 1949 Date posted 11/06/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Human Resources Directorate, led by the Associate Lab Director for Human Resources (ALD HR)/Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), manages all Human Capital Management functions, programs, and initiatives including, but not limited to, scientific and non-scientific employment, benefits, employee and labor relations, staff development, salaries and awards, employee records, inclusion and diversity, occupational medicine, and guest/user/visitor services.
The Human Resources Generalist is an integral member of a deployed HR team supporting multiple service, operations, and scientific organizations in a world-class national laboratory amidst a diverse and international population. You will perform professional level duties in multiple functional areas including employee relations, performance management, onboarding, compensation, policy and process implementation, employment law compliance and transaction management.
In this dynamic role you will:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or a related discipline with an HR core curriculum, or equivalent experience on basis of 2:1 (experience: education)
- A minimum of 4 years’ full-time experience performing general HR responsibilities which must include progressively complex, customer-oriented HR service delivery experience
- Initiative, determination and excellent consultative skills in order to identify problems in the early stages and provide solutions or referral suggestions
- Knowledge of federal, state and local employment laws and their impact on human resources issues
- Demonstrated ability to analyze situations, conceptualize solutions, and communicate effectively with management and staff
- Strong HR and business knowledge with proven ability to influence management teams in their decision making
- Excellent communications (oral, written and presentation) coupled with excellent interpersonal, coaching, and relationship management skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and accurately with close attention to detail
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with PeopleSoft HR, PeopleFluent, or similar Human Resources Management systems
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Masters’ Degree in Human Resources Management
- HR Certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP)
- Experience providing HR support in a scientific, highly technical or highly regulated environment
- Experience working for a federal contractor
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file