Health Physics SupervisorJob ID 1835 Date posted 08/28/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science - from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Radiological Control Division:
Maintaining and protecting the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public and the environment is our mission. Our professionals and technicians are certified and provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by use of field deployed Facility Support personnel, an accredited Personnel Monitoring service, a fully functional Instrumentation & Calibration facility, expertise in Radiological Engineering, and the handling of Isotopes and Special Nuclear Materials.
A Facility Support Representative (FSR) is a field deployed professional member of the ES&H Directorate with the responsibility of assisting their assigned line organizations with the effective development and implementation of the site wide ES&H program. Specifically, our professionals are certified and provide the expertise required for maintaining and protecting the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public and the environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specialized experience must include radioactive material and contamination control, radiological survey, radiological work coverage, airborne radioactivity sampling, radiological instrumentation and detection, and implementation of as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) principles.
- Supervise Radiological Control Technicians (RCTs).
- Evaluation of line organization radiological work activities, developing radiological work permits, with an emphasis on providing solutions-oriented services for achievement of science mission objectives.
- Develop and implement plans, administrative, and engineering controls to minimize environmental impact of work, which includes applying pollution prevention and waste minimization techniques.
Required Knowledge, Skills,
- BS degree in Health Physics or closely related technical field or equivalent education/certification in specialized radiological/nuclear operations, and seven years related work experience.
- The candidate must have successfully completed the DOE radiological control standardized core or ANSI/ANS 3.1 Selection, Qualification, and Training of Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants requirements; and have a minimum of seven years progressive experience as a Radiological Control Technician (RCT); or be certified as a Radiation Protection Technologist by the National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologists (NRRPT).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Certification as a National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologist (NRRPT).
- Specialized certifications may include certification as a Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or successful completion of one part of the American Board of Health Physics Certification (CHP) Examination.
- Seven to ten years’ experience implementing DOE radiological protection standards and Federal regulations on occupational radiation protection (i.e., 10CFR835, Occupational Radiation Protection Rule); supervision of Radiological Control Technicians (RCTs); evaluation of line organization radiological work activities; and preparation of radiological work permits, with an emphasis on providing solutions-oriented services for achievement of science mission objectives.
- Candidate must successfully pass an Oral Board examination within six months after selection as a Facility Support Representative.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
- Moderate lifting (less than 30 lbs.).
- Alertness, Hearing alarms, understanding speech and speaking / communication.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file