Hazardous Waste Management OperatorJob ID 2065 Date posted 02/13/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Environmental Protection Division carries the many functions that protect BNL's workers, visitors and the environment, and ensures Lab compliance with environmental laws and regulations. Also responsible for providing safe collection, packaging and disposal of the Laboratory's hazardous, radioactive, and mixed wastes
The Waste Management Department currently has a Term Position opportunity for a Hazardous Waste Operator. This position is for the United Steel Workers Union at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Thirty days following employment, all new employees will become members of the union as a condition of employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pickup, packaging, transportation, storing and bulking of hazardous and radioactive wastes.
- Completing and maintaining certifications required for the operation of the Waste Management Facility
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- AAS in Chemistry, physical sciences or equivalent experience which includes four years working with Hazardous Materials and/or Hazardous wastes
- Experience in working with hazardous chemicals and knowledge of associated segregations/classifications and hazard controls are required
- Must obtain a CDL Class B license with Hazmat endorsement within 9 months of the start date
- Ability to operate handling equipment including but not limited to; forklifts, overhead cranes, walk-behind machines, and below-the-hook-rigging
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum 2 years working in a lab packaging environment.
- HAZWOPER for waste operations is desirable.
- CDL Class B license obtained prior to the date of hire is preferred.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now