Engineering Manager, Modernization Project OfficeJob ID 2339 Date posted 03/10/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
BNL's Modernization Project Office (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical plant of the Lab to provide facilities where world-class research can be performed.
We seek an Engineering Manager to join our MPO team. In this role, you will be an integral part of the project delivery process and will have full technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating tasks assigned to the engineering group to ensure technical aspects of projects are in full compliance with codes and standards. You will report to the Manager of the Modernization Project Office and provide leadership, direction, development and resource management to a diverse team of engineers, architects and technical staff.
Join the BNL team and become part of continuing to build and improve the facilities for science discovery!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As MPO’s Engineering Manager, you will:
- Oversee engineering & design of conventional building modifications (architectural, mechanical, civil structural, electrical and fire protection) in coordination with the MPO Project Management Group
- Manage General Plant Projects and Work Order Portfolio of Science and Infrastructure projects and other large scale projects which are critical to the Lab’s mission.
- Oversee and manage budgets and resources in excess of $25M.
- Review and approve discipline staffing budget estimates and staffing assignment schedules on each project. Generate and validate staff forecasting reports. Monitor the quality and progress of each discipline on each project, ensuring that project schedules and requirements are satisfied. Work closely with the Manager of Project Management and Construction Services to resolve any existing or forecasted problems related to discipline staffing, quality of work, schedule performance or productivity
- Supervise, train and manage employees including senior level engineers (P-10). Mentor employees through coaching, formal training and professional development opportunities. Embrace diversity to inspire & engage staff in new ways of working, innovating and enhancing performance
- Identify and lead improvement initiatives and opportunities to streamline processes
- Develop strategies and recommendations for make-buy analyses regarding in-house versus subcontract Architectural/Engineering labor
- Ensure the right level of design, review, and oversight is applied to ensure MPO provides a cost-competitive option to our science customers
- Create successful partnerships with directorate management, scientific and operational personnel, advisory groups and other program representatives to support initiatives with common efforts
- Collaborate with management teams and staff to increase efficiencies, decrease costs, improve safety, and engage in driving performance improvement
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or closely related field
- Minimum of 15 years’ progressively responsible experience in a combination of engineering, management, estimating, design and construction, with at least five (5) of those years in a senior engineering role
- Experience meeting with clients, writing proposals and defining the scope of work. Proven customer focus with the ability to translate customer needs and wants into effective designs. Demonstrated capability in successfully managing customer relationships, including proficiency in negotiating with customers/representatives regarding scope, schedule, and budget
- Advanced technical knowledge and experience in electrical (power) and mechanical engineering, such as general design, building automation systems, process control, equipment design and installation, construction practices, configuration management, and Design Change Control. This would include experience in facility-based design and construction projects
- Knowledgeable of the application of International Building Codes (IBC), National Electrical Code (NEC), and International Existing Building Codes (IEBC)
- Proven multi-disciplinary leadership and management competencies including: technical direction/goal setting; budgeting of design projects; and staff supervision and management
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate across all levels of management and staff
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in engineering or related discipline
- Professional Engineer license
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Able to perform work outdoors (for estimates, inspections) in all weather conditions
- Able to climb ladders and be at heights of up to 20 feet
- Able to work in controlled radiation areas
- Able to wear required Construction PPE
- ·Valid driver’s license required
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now