Electronics TechnicianJob ID 2857 Date posted 04/30/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
NSLS-II RF group designs, fabricates, and maintains Radio Frequency (RF) and high-speed digital systems including 500MHz and 3GHz digital I/Q modulators, digital and analog receivers, high speed interlocks, and switching power supplies.
NSLS-II RF group designs, fabricates and maintains Radio Frequency (RF) and high-speed digital systems including 500MHz and 3GHz digital I/Q modulators, digital and analog receivers, high speed interlocks, switching power supplies. This position is for a RF/Analog and/ or high-speed digital technician. Must demonstrate expertise in the prototyping, troubleshooting and operations of low-level radio frequency systems and/ or high speed analog/digital boards. Must be able to troubleshoot complex systems from high level systems analysis to board level components diagnosis and repair. Working with a diverse group of scientists, engineers and technicians, the successful candidate will be responsible for prototyping and troubleshooting these systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for board level prototyping and troubleshooting of low-level radio frequency systems and high-speed analog/digital board design.
- Troubleshoot complex systems from high level systems analysis to board level components, diagnosis, and repair.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or engineering field and six (6) years of relevant work experience.
- Strong background in analog and digital electronics.
- Good board level assembly techniques.
- Experience in high density PC board re-work.
- Electronics troubleshooting to the board and component level.
- Good mechanical skills and knowledge of machine shop practices.
- Excellent organization and documentation skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelors’ degree in electronics or engineering technology.
- Certification in mil-spec soldering.
- High speed RF/digital PC board design.
- Familiarity with high power RF systems.
- Strong safety ethic and knowledge of safe work practices in high voltage/ high power systems.
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.
- Lifting of 30 pounds, continuous walking / standing, climb a ladder and work at heights up to 30 feet.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now