Electronics TechnicianJob ID 1869 Date posted 09/25/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Accelerator Department Power Supply group (for AGS, Booster, NSRL, EBIS and ELENS), is looking for an entry level Electronics Technician to be responsible for maintaining, troubleshooting and upgrading various power supplies, their sub systems and controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operation of complex power supply systems.
- Fabricate, install/assemble, and test components.
- Construct, calibrate, test, and inspect systems.
- Operate, repair and maintain equipment.
- Troubleshoot systems and equipment.
- Monitor operation parameters.
- Maintain supplies, inventory, and records.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or technical institute equivalent.
- Good mechanical skills, the ability to work safely with basic hand tools, and shop power tools i.e. drill press, shear, sander etc.
- Good communications skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision and be available for off hours or emergency call-in as required.
- Ability to work rotating shifts if required.
- Ability to use a computer and to make a log entry into an electronic log.
- Ability to safely use machine tools such as drill-presses and band saws.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least one year of relevant experience
- Must be familiar with standard test and measurement equipment, such as function generators, oscilloscopes, multimeters, spectrum analyzers etc.
- Familiarity with mechanical, electrical drawings, process and instrumentation drawings.
- Familiarity with Allen Bradley, Siemens PLC hardware and software.
- Familiarity with motor generator systems and controls
- Basic experience with computers and software such as MS Excel and MS Word.
- Familiarity with analog and digital electronics in current regulated power supplies.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Ability to climb a ladder.
- Perform work within areas controlled for radiological purposes.
- Comply with radiological postings in the workplace.
- Ability to work in a confined space and to wear ODH PPE including a 5 min air escape pack, to work inside a 5 Gauss magnetic field.
- Ability to work in a noisy environment, confined spaces with proper PPE.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this role.
- Drivers’ license to be able to drive on BNL site.
- Possible travel required to equipment vendor.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file