Electro/Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 2685 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Accelerator Department has a one-year term opportunity for a Technician position. The selected candidate will be responsible for large scale installation of DC cables for scientific machinery and equipment as well as the repair and maintenance of various AC/DC equipment and systems and mechanical and accelerator subsystem machinery. This position will have the opportunity to work and collaborate with other areas within BNL, specifically repair and maintenance of systems within our Super Conducting Magnet and Instrumentation departments. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist technicians and engineers in the development, fabrication, testing, installation, and maintenance of electrical/electronic systems that support the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider operations and system upgrades
- Installation and termination of cables used for particle accelerator systems including high-current/high voltage copper, multi-strand and co-axial instrumentation, fiber optic, and RF helix cable
- Cable pulling including the installation of light weight to heavy weight cables over short to long distances over several thousand feet
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent capabilities
- A minimum of one-year full time relevant experience demonstrating the ability to follow procedures to perform technical work assignments
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work flexible hours and overtime as required
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Some electrical, mechanical, or technical background experience performing large scale installation and termination of scientific apparatus
- MS Office Suite, AutoCad
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders and sloping terrain
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Ability to work with confidence at heights that can exceed thirty feet
- Initial one year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
- Valid Driver’s License Required
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now