Electrical Safety Work Practice ExpertJob ID 2469 Date posted 01/13/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Maintaining and protecting the safety and health of BNL employees, the public, and the environment is our mission. Our electrical safety professionals and technical staff provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by assisting in the implementation of the Brookhaven National Lab (BNL) Electrical Safety Standards-Based Management System (SBMS) Subject Area.
Serve as the institution’s electrical safety field representative
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of the Electrical Safety SME and the Hazardous Energy Control Specialist will:
- Act as primary field contact for assigned organizations at BNL in all matters related to electrical safety;
- Conduct Equipment Inspections when requested;
- Provide coaching and mentoring to staff for electrical safety implementation;
- Conduct work observations, obtain feedback from working groups, and support the SME in making the required modifications to BNL’s Electrical Safety Program;
- Communicate results of Electrical Safety implementation analysis to operating departments through field visits, email, and newsletters;
- When requested, aid in the writing of electrical safety procedures;
- When requested, review department procedures for electrical safety and compliance;
- Work with the line organizations to find safe and compliant solutions that meet operational needs;
- Promote compliant Electrical Safety Subject Area implementation across BNL
- Review electrical designs;
- Participate in facility readiness reviews.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and three (3) years’ experience in the design and/or installation of scientific electrical components and systems.
- Knowledge of external standards related to electrical safety such as NFPA 70 & 70E and OSHA;
- Knowledge of practices and procedures to safeguard employees when performing work on electrical equipment to include electrical Lockout/Tagout (LOTO);
- Ability to develop immediate and long-term programmatic and field-based solutions to assist staff when preparing for work on electrical equipment and systems;
- Ability to read schematics and electrical distribution (one-line) diagrams;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record;
- Willingness to obtain and maintain electrical safety certifications such as Certified Utility Safety Professional, Certified Safety Professional, or Professional Engineer;
- Must demonstrate the ability to present ideas and concepts orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner to communicate technical information and interact with individuals with diverse backgrounds and levels of understanding including senior management, engineers, scientists, and trade workers;
- Must be a positive driver for change regarding BNL’s commitment to safety and compliance;
- Interpersonal skills as demonstrated by performance as a positive driver for change regarding commitment to safety and compliance;
- Willingness and aptitude to learn from our current Safety staff and to be a team player;
- Solid safety-based reasoning skills;
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
In-depth knowledge of external standards related to electrical safety
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now