Electrical EngineerJob ID 2982 Date posted 09/10/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Superconducting Magnet Division (SMD) designs, builds, and tests superconducting magnets for use in particle accelerators world-wide. The SMD also builds magnets for various other applications (e.g., Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage) and provides magnetic measurement services lab-wide.
The Superconducting Magnet Division has an opening for an Electrical Engineer with a background in industrial control systems for the upgrade and maintenance of superconducting magnet test stand and cryogenic plant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and test electronic systems. Generate engineering drawings and specifications.
- Upgrade and maintain existing electrical systems like power supplies, control systems and test instruments.
- Write software for instrumentation, controls, and data acquisition systems.
**The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.**
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS in Electrical Engineering (or closely related field) with 3 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with LABVIEW and PLC based automation.
- Experience with industrial process control system, instrumentation, and system integration.
- Background in applying safety principles in a setting that includes severe electrical hazards.
- Comprehensive understanding of AC and DC medium voltage power circuits.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with circuit simulation, finite element electromagnetic analysis and design packages like AutoCAD or Solid Work
- Experience with analog and digital circuit design including FPGA
- Familiar with design and programming of motion control systems with servo and stepper motors
- Ability to work in shifts
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now