Electrical Engineer, Power Supply Systems (experienced career level)Job ID 2639 Date posted 05/03/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
We seek an experienced Electrical Engineer to join our EIC Power Supply Systems group. In this role, you will work with team members developing, designing, procuring, testing, and installing DC and ramped power supplies for magnets. (High accuracy, remotely controlled power supplies ranging in current from 10 amps to 2000 amps will be required; some will be ramped with a repetitive frequency 0.1 to 2 Hz.)
Working with the group leader, you will develop and manage project plans and coordinate and oversee the work of other engineers and technicians to deliver EIC power supply systems from initial concept to commissioning. We seek candidates with a background in DC and ramped well-regulated power supplies, power electronics and high voltage power devices and systems.
Join the BNL EIC team and be part of building the next discovery machine for science!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Power Supply Systems staff, accelerator physicists, and EIC system managers and engineers to develop, define, and document detailed requirements and specifications for magnet power supply systems.
- Coordinate and oversee other engineers and technicians to deliver EIC power supply systems and components from initial concept through analysis, detailed design, modeling, integration, fabrication, reviews, purchasing, assembly, testing, installation and commissioning.
- Work as part of a team in all magnet power supply system projects. Assist the power supply group leader in developing and managing project plans including scope, resources, schedules and procurement.
- Ensure that magnet power supply systems and components have well defined specifications for support systems: electrical power, water cooling, HVAC, compressed air, and controls, and that these are communicated with the responsible support groups.
- Support interface management with other accelerator systems. Resolve technical, space/facility and support conflicts
- Partner with the Power Supply Systems Group Leader to identify areas for required research and development
- Maintain an environment conducive to openness, collaboration, and respect for all
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- At least seven (7) years of relevant technical experience that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of DC and ramped high current power supplies, power electronic, and high voltage power devices and systems. Experience must include five (5) years of design, development, and testingexperience on creative engineering projects
- Knowledge of SCR rectifiers, linear, and switch mode power supplies
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other engineering, scientific staff contractors, vendors, project management and procurement professionals
- Experience organizing and presenting technical status reports, utilizing MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: super conducting magnet power supplies; accelerator physics; accelerator power supply systems (e.g. precision DC high current/voltage power supplies and feedback control)
- Good understanding of analog and digital electronic technologies
- Good electrical system testing and trouble-shooting skills
- Experience with technical software: PSpice, PSIM, MicroCap or other circuit analysis tools, Matlab, MathCad
- Project management experience, formal project management training, and/or certification
- Experience with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s)
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will be required to climb ladders for equipment installation and inspection
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights and/or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Valid drivers’ license is required
- Some travel may be required
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now