Deputy Directorate Chief Operations OfficerJob ID 3219 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Nuclear and Particle Physics (NPP) Directorate of Brookhaven National Laboratory is to provide state-of-the-art experimental user facilities for nuclear and high-energy physics research and to conduct world leading research in high-energy nuclear and particle physics. The Directorate consists of two departments: the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) and the Physics Department. The departments support users from U.S. and international institutions to participate in the particle and nuclear physics experiments, programs, and projects hosted at BNL, and BNL staff members participate in U.S. and international collaborations around the world.
Furthermore, Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the EIC will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The NPP Directorate and the EIC project have an opening for a Deputy Directorate Operating Officer (DDCOO) to support operations in both NPP and EIC. The DDCOO will report to the NPP Directorate Chief Operating Officer with a focus on supporting the Physics Department and EIC in facilitating safe, secure, and efficient operations within these organizations. This position requires a dynamic and engaging leader for the development and implementation of close collaborations with other BNL organizational units. In coordination with the management of the NPP Directorate and EIC, you will also support other activities within the NPP Directorate including support for some C-AD activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the research activities and users in the NPP Directorate and EIC project and ensure that operational requirements, processes, and support resources are in place to meet the management responsibility for conducting work in compliance with Laboratory requirements
- Formulate policies and goals for operational efficiency and direct effective operational initiatives. Monitor and analyze key performance data and information to assess, trend and continuously improve operations
- Participate in the development and implementation of strategic vision, goals and objectives
- Participate as a member of the BNL Operations Council to understand/define institutional-level risks, implementation methods to meet requirements, development of corrective action plans, and coordination of assessments
- Establish cooperative relationships with and act as liaison to Laboratory support organizations (HR, ES&H, F&O, PPM, QMO) and other science directorates
- Interface with BNL senior management as well as with DOE-BHSO (Department of Energy Brookhaven Site Office), collaborating institutions, program offices, regulatory agencies, and represent BNL in forums with peers and management of other National Labs
- Engage daily with staff at all levels within the supported organizations to ensure effective operations
- Participate as a member of the NPP and EIC Management teams
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or business management
- A minimum of 15 years of directly related full-time experience with progressive managerial and leadership responsibilities
- Experience in strategic planning, managing individual and team performance, and developing budgets/finances
- Advanced interpersonal, conflict resolution, facilitation, and collaboration skills
- Ability to provide strong counsel to decision-makers and to lead by example and influence
- Proven problem solving and decision-making skills
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills, including developing and delivering presentations
- Customer-focus orientation
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Graduate degree in science, engineering, or business management
- Professional certifications in project management, facility, maintenance, or operational areas
- Experience with operations as a federal contractor in a research institution/organization
- Knowledge of DOE Office of Science requirements
- Experience in accelerator facility operations
- Occasional travel may be required
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now