Chemistry ChairJob ID 2733 Date posted 08/03/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate pursues advances in basic energy science, photon science and nanoscience that will underpin transformational discoveries in advanced materials, chemistry for sustainable energy, energy storage, and energy delivery and efficiency. EPS research is conducted across the Energy Sciences Department, the Interdisciplinary Sciences Department and NSLS-II, a DOE BES user facility. The Energy Sciences Department consists of the Chemistry Division, Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Department and the Center for Functional Nanomaterials.
The Chemistry Division conducts fundamental and applied research to understand and control energy-relevant physical processes and chemical transformations in complex environments, with a primary theme to advance principles that will underlie new energy conversion and storage technologies that improve energy security and reduce the environmental impacts of energy use.
Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks an outstanding research leader for the position of Chair of the Chemistry Division. The successful candidate will be a distinguished scientist with an exceptional research record in chemical sciences or a closely related field and extensive leadership experience in scientific research. The Chemistry Division has approximately eighty personnel including postdoctoral researchers and graduate students, and research staff include joint appointments at Stony Brook University and Columbia University. With a total annual budget of $18M, the Division is engaged in fundamental and applied research to enable new energy conversion and storage technologies, with programs in catalysis, solar photochemistry and radiation chemistry, electrochemical energy storage and electrocatalysis.
The Division’s research includes multi-institution centers; it leads the Molten Salts in Extreme Environments Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) and is a partner in the DOE Energy Innovation Hub Center for Hybrid Approaches in Solar Energy to Liquid Fuels (CHASE). Division researchers in nuclear chemistry also partner in international collaborations advancing particle physics investigations of neutrinos and other weakly interacting particles. Research in the division is strengthened by close interaction with Brookhaven National Laboratory’s leading facility capabilities including National Synchrotron Light Source II, the Center for Functional Nanomaterials, and the division’s own Accelerator Center for Energy Research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advance and promote a dynamic and world-recognized R&D program in chemical sciences that fosters innovation through collaborations within the laboratory and with researchers at universities and other national laboratories.
- Develop and drive a long-term vision for chemical sciences research at Brookhaven, with a focus on energy-relevant basic research that capitalizes on the Division’s expertise and unique BNL capabilities.
- Manage strategy, staff, and performance of the Division as a whole, including line management of the Division’s leadership team and attraction and development of a diverse and engaged division workforce.
- Represent and communicate the Division’s activities and needs to all stakeholders, including DOE Basic Energy Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Geosciences and Bioscience division, a primary sponsor of division programs.
- Promote a safety culture within the Division and ensure good environmental safety, and health performance.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Distinguished record of research in chemical sciences, as reflected by publications, funded research, and peer recognition.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience including five years of operational, management, and supervisory experience in a research institution, and with a record of safe research operations.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results through motivating people, leading teams with complementary strengths, building consensus, and problem-solving in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with DOE programs, DOE Office of Science and US National Laboratories.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now