Business Operations ManagerJob ID 1845 Date posted 08/09/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Business Services provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by Chief Financial Officer George Clark, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Information Technology Division, and Procurement & Property Management Division. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $600 million annual budget.
The Business Operations Manager (BOM) reports to the CFO and is matrixed to the Instrumentation Division (IO). The BOM will work closely with the IO Director, Deputy Director and Dvision Chief Operating Officer to manage a diverse portfolio of over 50 projects estimated at ~$20M.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This will include:
- developing and monitoring the processes used in formulating a budget
- tracking overall performance using financial review and analysis
- performing and coordinating problem analysis
- ensuring validity of data
- Day-to-day responsibilities will include budget planning, labor forecasting, development of current year cost plans, analysis of current year cost, rate development and preparation of financial summaries for management, periodic program reviews and Laboratory planning exercises.
- Provide day-to-day management and supervisory oversight of deployed or division staff
- Exercise professional judgment and decision making in the execution of assignments.
- Maintain, develop and employ capabilities to execute organization’s plans
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field and a minimum of 15 years full-time, contemporary relevant experience, to include at least 5 years supervisory experience
- Expertise in the development of budget and forecasting models
- Skilled financial analyst with demonstrated ability to summarize and present financial data to support management decision making processes
- Ability to develop and effectively monitor rates for internal recharge of labor and organizational burdens
- Previous experience supervising staff at varying levels and with diverse responsibilities along with demonstrated ability to effectively mentor junior staff
- Advanced utilization of integrated business software and application of data base management tools
- Organizational and analytical skills are essential as is the ability to utilize Microsoft Excel and Outlook effectively
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- The ability to interact with diverse and international populations, as well as all levels of management within the Division, Laboratory and the DOE Program Offices
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- An interest in pertinent research initiatives and the ability to work effectively with scientific and professional staff to develop realistic financial strategies, reliable cost estimates and detailed annual cost plans
- Extensive knowledge of PeopleSoft financials
- Knowledge and experience in aspects of accounting unique to government contracting entities
- Experience in preparing and delivering presentations for various levels of management
- DOE “Q” Clearance
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file