Associate Physicist - Radiation SafetyJob ID 1899 Date posted 09/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Maintaining and protecting the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public and the environment is our mission. Our professionals and technicians are certified and provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by use of field deployed Facility Support personnel, an accredited Personnel Monitoring service, a fully functional Instrumentation & Calibration facility, expertise in Radiological Engineering and the handling of Isotopes and Special Nuclear Materials.
The Radiological Control Division at Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking an Associate Physicist - Radiation Safety. Responsibilities include performing shielding calculations for the NSLS-II accelerators and beamlines for specific accelerator and beamline configurations and in support of all aspects of shielding design calculations and measurements for radiation safety at the NSLS-II.
- Perform calculations using Monte Carlo and other applicable computer codes to determine shielding requirements, to estimate induced radioactivity and to estimate dose to personnel and environment.
- Provide radiation physics support to NSLS-II accelerators and beamlines.
- Support radiation physics measurements to characterize the radiation field at NSLS-II for personnel and equipment protection as required.
- Review beamline and accelerator designs to identify and specify shielding requirements to ensure staff is protected from stray radiation fields.
- Provide support for safe radiological operations during commissioning/operations of the accelerators and beamlines by developing procedures, reports and establishing protocols in conjunction with other cognizant ESH personnel at BNL.
- Support the BNL Radiological protection program through implementation of institutional and Departmental procedures, policies and work practices developed to keep dose to staff and the public ALARA.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Radiation/Health Physics, Nuclear Engineering, or in closely related fields
- A minimum of two years’ experience in radiation/particle physics simulations with multi-particle Monte-Carlo simulation codes such as FLUKA, MCNP, PHITS, etc., to perform shielding, dose and activation calculations.
- Ability to effectively present results of calculations and measurements as papers and presentations.
- Ability to determine shielding requirements for the radiation fields generated during accelerator and beamline operation.
- Experience in shielding calculations for synchrotron beamlines.
- Experience in the review/design of photon delivery and imaging systems including ability to read auto-CAD drawings and understand ray tracings.
- Strong interpersonal and effective oral and written communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 3 + years experience working in an accelerator environment including performing shielding/activation analyses and measurement of complex radiation fields
- Peer reviewed published work in radiation physics calculations and measurements.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file